Monday, September 17, 2007

i hope i'm wrong

i have a new mantra.

i hope i'm wrong

running through my head.
along the same lines of the little engine that could (I think I can.I think I can.)

i hope i'm wrong


my second child, Savvy, concerns me.
her reading skills are not where i think they should be.

i hope i'm wrong

and i notice her compensating.
by this i mean - she 'reads' books by memorizing the words the first time she struggles through it and from then on, uses the pictures as cues to the text.

i hope i'm wrong

which does indicate she is intelligent - but it does not mean she can read.

i hope i'm wrong

so i have requested a literacy evaluation from her public school.
i requested a dyslexia evaluation last year that was never done. (don't get me started)
requested one again this year, in writing.
had my pediatrician give me a referral to Scottish Rite for their dyslexia eval.
Looking into a few other options for testing as well.

i hope i'm wrong


i hope i'm wrong


i hope i'm wrong


3 comments:

Wien. said...

I too hope you're wrong. I don't know how old Savvy is, but younger children - pre reading age children- do memorize books and 'read' them via the pictures. Just a hopeful, I hope you're wrong kind of reply here, but... I do hope you're wrong. If not, I'm sure you'll know what to do and take the appropriate steps to do what is right.
Have faith, my dear.
Your pal,
W.

Ms. Junie said...

And if you're right..it will be ok. You will know and have more help for her AND remember..there are many successful people in the world with dyslexia. MANY. The creator of Jet Blue is ADD and dyslexic among other things. Life is so much more than our learning differences. We all can do so much regardless of those things. Don't forget that. Hugs to you!!

Amber said...

I hope you're wrong. I hope the school gets it's crap together. I hope you know that you are a fabulous mom!