Thursday, September 6, 2007

the birds & the bees & the flowers & the trees...

i am preparing myself for The Talk
with my girls.

bought The Book
for The Talk
with my girls.

it's time. they are both curiouser and curiouser.

i just remember when my mom had The Talk with me and we read The Books - it changed EVERYTHING.
i didn't look at two people the same ever again.
ever.
i hate to change their world like that.

but it's time.

my other concern - when my mom had The Talk with me - i promptly went to school and had The Talk with all my classmates. ask anyone i was in third grade with "who told you where babies come from" and they will tell you - without skipping a beat - t_cole. they still tease me about this. i like to remind them that some of them had me tell them twice...

anywho - i have no doubt - no doubt at all that my girls will go to school and do the exact same thing. so i have given both of their teachers a 'heads up.'

i just hope i handle this as well as my mom did. she was awesome. she opened a dialog on sex and never closed it or shied away from it. ever. i could ask her anything. and did. and she answered it. and i think because of the way she handled it - i have a healthier attitude than most about sexuality and my body.

i simply want to do a good job on this. it's a big deal. this is knowledge that will impact the rest of their lives. not just the context of the message delivered, but how the information is shared by me and even the attitude inferred about the imparted information.

so much pressure.
wish me luck!



6 comments:

Wien. said...

Well, how did it go? I'm sure you did a great job!

Amber said...

Anything you say will be better than someone else telling them. I had a friend tell me that "doin' it" meant that a guy kissed a girl on the mouth, around her boobs, and then back up to the mouth. My dad was the one who had to clear things up for me...it was awful, for both of us but it had to be done. My poor dad!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, can't wait to hear how it went, and if you would be so kind as to recommend some of THE BOOKS you used that seemed helpful as well:)

All the Best,
Lil'sis

Ms. Junie said...

it's a hard talk to have.. my own son covers his ears and says "no i don't want to know" sometimes lol

t_cole said...

Had The Talk last night. thought Friday night Talk would give them all weekend to stew on it and let it diffuse b4 school on Monday.

So far - it's been a non-event. no follow up questions or such.

Of course they did ask the neighbor how they tell the girl horses from the boy horses.
I expected the penis answer.
my neighbor tells them - "By their name..."
c'est la vie...

Ms. Junie said...

LOL That is funny..by their name.
My mother was told that she was found in a cabbage rose when she was a kid. No sex talk at all from my grandmother..she found out later at school that she was NOT found in a cabbage rose :)!