Tuesday, February 5, 2008

another birthday

Sam turned nine this past Saturday.
And I tried not to dwell on the where-she-is as opposed to the where-she-should-be.
but i had my moment.
Saturday morning. sitting on the side of the tub. watching her walk into the bathroom for me to do her hair. It hit me.
She's nine now.
Nine.
I won't even speculate where her maturity level actually is?
Or her ability level.
but neither are anywhere near nine years old.

It was just that one fleeting moment...

And then we had a fantastic time for her birthday.
Medieval Times with her sister and three female classmates.
None of them have the exact same issues or challenges as Sam but there are challenges for them nonetheless. Sam is the only apraxic one. But these girls were so cute and precious and darling together - being with them was one of the most uplifting experiences I have had in a very long time.
With them, Sam was typical. normal. They ALL were.
and it was GLORIOUS.
Must do this again - get these girls together. soon. often.

It's good for her.
It's good for me.

It's just good...

1 comment:

Wien. said...

I stopped looking at my Coconut's number. I had to. I only kept comparing her instead of accepting her for who she was.

Every once and a while she'll say something about her age compared to her classmates, and her abilities compared to them. She is noticing the differences and I have to wonder if I didn't do that to her.

It's just a thought.

I'm glad that Sam's birthday was all that you and she hoped it would be. Good job MOM!

W.