Tuesday, December 4, 2007

MUST HAVE book...

I found a newly published book specifically for the parents of children with speech and language problems - by the parent of TWO apraxic children.

The Parent's Guide to Speech And Language Problems by Debbie Feit with Heidi M. Feldman, M.D., PH.D.

I wish it has been published when Sam was initially diagnosed. It's got some really GREAT material in it - though most of it I know or have already experienced. I have a TBF degree - Trial By Fire.

I disagree with Ms. Feit only on one point. And I concede that my view may be unrealistic. I have said to write off public education as an option for your apraxic child. Ms. Felt gives direction on how to wade through the public education mire. I tried that route and realized (not soon enough) that public education would not work for Sam.

As I mentioned, Ms. Feit has TWO apraxic children which makes her uniquely qualified to author this book and guide other parents. I admire and respect her tenacity and spirit.

If you are the parent of a child with a suspected language delay/disorder or have a child with a recent diagnosis - RUN, do not walk and buy this book. I found it here.

Again, I wish I had had a roadmap like this when Sam was first diagnosed.

No comments: