Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's always something...

In addition to the various issues already listed here in this blog, we got something new going on with Sam that is making me BATTY!

She is fidgeting with her hands. All the time. Fidget, Fidget, Fidget.

And why does this make me batty?

Because she fidgets with her clothes. She plays with the hem of her school jumper and works the hem out. she fondles the buttons on her winter coat and they come off. she unbuttons and buttons the bottom button on her school shirt until she either takes the button off or wears a hole in the shirt or BOTH.

I have mended, and re-hemmed and re-buttoned myself silly this past month.

This past Saturday was the straw that broke the Moma's back. We went to the au pair family Christmas party. Sam wore this beautiful NEW LL Bean Christmas sweater. (granted, it was purchased at the thrift store - but looked like it had NEVER been worn and it was the first time she had ever worn it.) Sam fidgeted with the hem in the front of the sweater until she pulled the hem out and frayed the front middle of the sweater. ARGH! And I don't knit - can't fix this one.

I am a fixer. and I can't fix this one. and I loved that stinking sweater.
It's just a stinking sweater. why do I let this eat me up like this?

Last year, Sam went through a phase where she pulled her hair out. in chunks - at night - in bed. She literally had a bald spot on top of her head.
We adjusted her meds and she eventually stopped and the hair grew back.

What is going on in this child's head to lead her to such behaviours?
Is she nervous about something. Has someone hurt her?
WHAT IS IT??

And what am I supposed to do about it?

until I figure this out - will keep the sewing kit handy.
Know anyone that knits?


3 comments:

Not Fainthearted said...

Hey t_cole, I knit. If you want to send it up, I'll take a look at it. Seriously.

email me.

t_cole said...

nfh -
You are too kind. Thank you so much for the offer.
I have a confession...
I threw the sweater away. I could not stand to look at it another minute. it reminded me of what she did, my inability to help her and the aggravation BOTH of those cause me...
but thank you so much for your very kind offer.

Not Fainthearted said...

I totally understand.

hang in there, sweetie.